Family life is to be the focus of an extraordinary general session of the Synod of Bishops that will meet at the Vatican from 5th to 19th October 2014.Around 150 Synod fathers will take part in the meeting to discuss the “pastoral challenges of the family in the context of evangelization.”
Our Archbishop, the Most Reverend Timothy Costelloe SDB, is encouraging all parishes, archdiocesan agencies, Catholic groups and as many individual Catholics as possible, whether practising or lapsed, to consider completing the questionnaire which has been forwarded to dioceses across the globe by the Vatican.
The Preparatory Document, sometimes called the Lineamenta, sent to the Australian Catholic Bishops is structured as follows:
Section I. This looks at the Synod and the family within the task of evangelization.
Section II. This examines the Church and the Gospel within the context of the Family and is split into two sections: i) The Plan of God, Creator and Redeemer; and ii) The Church’s Teaching on the Family.
Section III. This contains the 39 Questions that Catholics are encouraged to respond to. They are separated into nine sections: i) The Diffusion of the Teachings on the Family in Sacred Scripture and the Church’s Magisterium; ii) Marriage according to the Natural Law;iii) The Pastoral Care of the Family in Evangelization; iv) Pastoral Care in Certain Difficult Marital Situations; v) On Unions of Persons of the Same Sex; vi) The Education of Children in Irregular Marriages; vii) The Openness of the Married Couple to Life; viii) The Relationship Between the Family and the Person; and ix) Other Challenges and Proposals.
But first, please take some time to prepare…
We would really value your responses to this questionnaire on family life but there are a few points to note before taking part. To complete the survey in full could take 30 minutes or more so we’d strongly recommend you download and use the PRO-FORMA Word document located below to prepare your responses before submitting your answers, whether online, by email or in writing.
• The online and pro-forma survey has 46 questions/opportunities to give your feedback. If you choose to responds by email or with a handwritten response you are only likely to have 39 questions which will exclude details of your age, gender, marital status, etc unless you choose to include these at the beginning or the end of your response.
• A few of the early questions on the Pro-Forma and on the online survey are short answer, tick box or selections from a drop-down. However, most allow for a full text response.
• Please fill in the initial information fields as fully as possible if completing the online survey – particularly the zone and town/suburb/parish fields where applicable.
• Although we’d encourage a full response, it’s not necessary to answer every question. Please skip questions you feel unable to answer.
• You can also simply send a pro-forma completed in writing by mail to Survey Response, CMFS, 33 Williamstown Road, Doubleview, WA 6018, or completed electronically by email to email@example.com.
Please note that the deadline for submissions is 5:00pm on Monday 9th December 2013.
If at any point you have any questions, please call Catholic Marriage and Fertility Services on (08) 9241 5000 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Participate in the Archdiocese of Perth’s responses by visiting our questionnaire at:www.surveymonkey.com/s/PerthFamily.
Below you will find several documents you can download either as Word documents or as PDFs by clicking on the highlighted text. These are to assist you with the questionnaire:
– Synod-PROFORMA-Perth (10 pages to print containing only the questions to be completed with sufficient gaps to fill in the questions by hand. Word 97 – 68KB)
– Synod-POSTER-Perth (1 page A4 colour poster for publicising the Vatican Questionnaire in parishes, agencies, etc. PDF – 342KB)
As you are online, we would strongly recommend that you actively participate by visiting our questionnaire at: www.surveymonkey.com/s/PerthFamily.
An MP3 file will be uploaded to this page by Friday 15th November. We are also working on creating the questionnaire for AusLan users.